Selma Police arrest homeless man, took six officers to restrain him

it took six Selma Police officers on Tuesday, April 17, to restrain and arrest a 46-year-old homeless man on felony charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, inflicting serious injury; malicious conduct by a prisoner and one misdemeanor count of assault on a government official.

The incident happened at 2:55 p.m. at 204 Ricks Road. Eric Barnes, homeless, Greensboro, was transported to the Johnston County Jail on a $500,000 secured bond. His first appearance in district court was Wednesday, April 18.

Police said someone called about a man lying in the parking lot of Faith Baptist Church, 204 Ricks Rd., near the intersection of Raiford Road. Three officers were dispatched to the scene.

Police had already responded the night before regarding a man who was trespassing on church property.

When police asked Barnes what he was doing on the property and said he appeared to have a blank stare. Police said Barnes was asked to present identification and he refused.

Police said several officers attempted to restrain him. With his upper body strength, police said it was impossible to cuff him. Two officers then did a leg sweep and placed Barnes face down on the ground.

Barnes got his arm loose, police said, and started elbowing one officer in the face. Another officer said Barnes had grabbed and was squeezing the officer’s genitals. The officer struck Barnes in the face to force him to let go but the officer said the blows to Barnes’ face weren’t fazing him.

Barnes was then knee speared in the lower black and upper thick that was ineffective, police said. A police officer said he grabbed his taser and attempted to tase Barnes’ left thigh.

Because Barnes was wearing three or four pair of pants, three or four shirts and a coat, the taser was ineffective, police said.

Police then attempted to tase exposed parts of Barnes’ body but it was ineffective. Police said he still showed no signs of pain or ending the resistance.

Police were able to get Barnes’ hands off the one officer’s genitals but were unable to get his right.

One police officer said Barnes rolled over to his right side, kicked him in the chest and knocked him over.

As the officer got up, he said another officer sprayed Barnes directly in his eyes with pepper spray that police said had no effect. Barnes still had a blank stare with intent to harm someone, police said.

Police said an officer was attempting to put Barnes back on his stomach. He said he began doing knee spears to Barnes’ stomach and then Barnes started to kick again.

The officer then struck Barnes in the head with elbow strikes and was then able to roll him onto his stomach.

The officer who rolled Barnes onto his stomach said another officer was able to get out on his lapel mike that they were fighting this male suspect.

Police said they heard sirens coming. They continued to grab and strike Barnes and still couldn’t get his hands behind his back.

One officer then yelled that Barnes was trying to bite his hand and the other officers were able to get the officer’s hand away from Barnes’ mouth.

Police said Barnes then began spitting saliva with blood at one officer getting it all over his arms and uniform.

Police said they were starting to tire from the fight but one officer was able to get on top of Barnes’ back and they were able to hold him in position until other units arrived.

Three other officers arrived and they were finally able to get cuffs on Barnes’ wrists and leg shackles on this ankles.

Johnston County EMS was called to the scene to treat police officers’ and Barnes’ injuries.

At that point, Barnes said, “I’m running for governor, I don’t wish to press charges. Take these cuffs off of me or just kill me.”

While in the patrol car, Barnes said, “Lord forgive them for they know not what they are doing. I am going to beat Gov. Roy Cooper in the next election and I will be Governor of the United States. I’m doing this for my family because Donald Trump took my Jolie!”

15 Comments

1. Pearl ingram on April 20, 2018 at 4:25 pm

This man seems to be mentally ill. I hope he was taken to the emergency room to have a psychiatrist evaluate him. He appears to have been in a psychosis and needed mental health professionals rather than police.

2. A. George on April 21, 2018 at 8:48 pm

From the statements made alone by the man taken into custody, he should have been taken to a mental institute. I’m glad the officers made such an effort to restrain him instead of murder him, but he should have never been arrested. I hope he receives treatment for his mental illness.

3. Janes on April 22, 2018 at 5:35 pm

What do you mean he shouldn’t have been arrested?? Have you lost your mind to? What are the police suppose to do beg him to comply and let him beat the heck out of the police?? I wish both of you had to have gone on that call. Wonder what you would have done to restrain through man. He got what he deserved. Did you read in the article he resisted??? Liberals like to play Monday morning quartback. Next time we will call you and see how you deal with someone like him..

• A. George on April 22, 2018 at 8:00 pm

First of all, I should really ignore a comment with such a gross amount of grammatical errors, but I won’t. There has to be a distinction between mental illness and criminal intent. I commend the officers for making every effort possible to arrest him and protect themselves without shooting him. The fact remains that it is quite obvious there are mental issues that need to be addressed. Arresting him and increasing the prison population will not resolve this issue for this man or the next. Don’t be so quick to attack those whose opinion differs from yours, especially when they are learned and have statistics from subject matter experts. Before I speak/post, please know that I do not speak from hatred, emotions, or aim to take up space. I will always advocate what is right.

4. Janes on April 22, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Yeah next time someone doesn’t want to go to jail we will call both of you.. How about Dem apples???

5. Janes on April 22, 2018 at 5:40 pm

So the police is suppose to call mental health professionals to the scene? How are the mental health professionals going to get him on custody? Would like to see you work for Selma Pd for just 8 hours. You wouldn’t make it 30 minutes…

6. Janes on April 23, 2018 at 5:09 am

Once again he resisted and should have been arrested. What would you have done???? Come on Sir, please come with us while he is spitting on you… You Sir are the problem with the police and society not the solution. The police did the right thing. He needs to be locked up for what he did to the officers. You probably would have ran and not arrested this individual.

7. Janes on April 23, 2018 at 5:12 am

How would you suggest getting him in handcuffs????? I bet you A George would have ran like a chicken or cried please don’t hit me. Please don’t spit on me. You have no clue A George. You are the problem with society today. Your thinking will get an officer killed. You have been watching CNN too much…

8. Janes on April 23, 2018 at 6:08 am

A George answer the question. How would you have put him in handcuffs while he is resisting and spitting on you??? You are dodging the question. How would you when he is resisting and spitting on you????? We all want to know A George.

• ISue on May 8, 2018 at 1:10 am

If these were CIT officers they knew how to handle the situation. That’s why they are trained to deescalate altercations pertaining to mental illness. -That’s how they did it.- They understand mental illness unlike so many in society.

9. Janes on April 23, 2018 at 6:15 am

And you have statistics??? Tell the officers who were spit on and took 6 yes 6 officers to handcuff him. I wish you were there. You would have ran like a little Chicken. I bet your information came from CNN or MSNBC. You are the problem not the solution. You have never wore the badge and have no idea. I guess you would have just left him there. How do you suggest he be transported to the hospital when he doesn’t want to go?? They had to handcuff him plus he assaulted several officers so I guess your thinking is he shouldn’t be charged with any crime? Your thinking will get many officers hurt or killed. Start educating yourself and watch more FOX NEWS.

10. A. George on April 23, 2018 at 9:27 am

“Janes” you sound angry, bitter, and perhaps underpaid. I never desired to be a law enforcement officer. Did you apply and not get an interview ? I’ll state again in case you missed it before: Mental health issues must be taken into consideration at some point. It would be ignorant to think one could overlook the physical assault. I did not undermine law enforcement at any time. Please stop misconstruing what I stated. Your responses about what news station I watch sounds elementary. Perhaps I’m talking to a child. It’s conversations like this that lead to the world being i the state it’s in. Finger pointing and name calling never solved problems. Have a great life !

• Janes on April 23, 2018 at 11:21 am

Again what would you have done with him resisting???? You Sir have no clue about what you are talking about. Stop watching CNN and be a productive member of society… You are what’s wrong with society. You are the problem not the solution.

• ISue on May 8, 2018 at 1:34 am

Janes,u have no clue to what you are posting. Mental illness is a true disorder and it would help if you educated yourself. Your true uneducated guesses are showing. Speak amongst *yourself * because those who are true professionals understand. You clearly have no clue as to the symptoms associated with mental illness. Study and then comment,smh

11. Sue on May 8, 2018 at 1:03 am

Please educate yourself before posting. There are CIT (Crisis Intervention Team) officers that are available for those with mental health issues. The officers were called previously for him and they knew his cognitive wellness. To all who are speaking negative about this,please know mental illness is no respector of persons and can strike anyone at anytime! Educate yourself- because a true professional can identify your uneducated ignorance…