DA’s Office is investigating Princeton dog shooting

Johnston County District Attorney Susan Doyle said Monday, Aug. 20, her office is investigating the Sunday, Aug. 12, fatal shooting of a dog in Princeton by a Princeton police officer.

“I spoke briefly with my investigator about this. I don’t have a lot of information I can provide at this point,” said Doyle. “This case is being investigated, and I believe my investigator spoke with the owner of the dog last week.”

The DA investigator assigned to the case is Charlotte Fournier.

The dog’s owner, Emily Taylor, contacted the State Bureau of Investigation but SBI spokesperson Patty McQuillan said the SBI is not investigating the shooting.

Taylor is being represented by Goldsboro attorney Walter Webster, who declined to comment on this case. The town’s attorney Robert Spence has advised Princeton Police Chief Tyrone Sutton not to comment further on the case. Sutton has said the shooting was justified,

Johnston County District Attorney Susan Doyle said her office is investigating the Aug. 12 Princeton Police shooting of a dog.

For more information, read this week’s copy of  The Princeton News Leader on sale NOW!

7 Comments

1. Pounds on August 22, 2018 at 10:38 am

It’s amazing to me that our DA will investigate a dogs death but not a man that was left under a car to die by local cops…just amazing dogs are more important that humans to her…

2. Charles Fankhauser on August 22, 2018 at 1:36 pm

No body cam, no collar, buried the dog and claim it can not by law be dug up…BULLSHIT! The police are lying their asses off to the public…Exhume the dog to prove their innocence ASAP. ..DO IT..I have heard a few old folks mention there may be drone footage..So let them keep on! I document the roads and neglect daily, I have tons of proof the system fails and lies everyday..I can easily post this info..investigate, smh, dig up the dog in front of the public..prove it!

• Hornet on August 22, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Post it big man we all are waiting? Put your money where your mouth is! Post all the lies and tons of proof the system fails. We are all waiting??? You say you can easily post it, nobody is stopping you??? So post it we are waiting. Nothing again nothing is stopping you from posting it but you!!! So we will be waiting to see if you talk the talk and can walk the walk. I seriously doubt you can but we are giving you your chance SIR and I say the loosely!!

3. Hornet on August 22, 2018 at 6:13 pm

If the dog was aggressive towards the officer he was justified in shooting the dog. Charles what would you have done if a dog was coming at you about to bite you? Stand there and let him maul you?? You are playing Monday morning quarterback. Let the Investigation find the facts before you come to a conclusion. That’s what is wrong with America today. You jump to conclusions before it is Investigated fully! Furthermore the dog shouldn’t have been roaming around terrorizing the public. So what would you have a done if a dogs teeth were showing about to attack you? Run or let him bite you OR stop the threat as most people with common sense would do! Stop playing Monday Morning quarterback when you were not there and you don’t know all the facts. Also I’m not Law Enforcement I’m just using common sense unlike a small majority don’t use!!! And if Charles, if you know so Much about it, call the Police Chief or Das office and be interviewed SIR!! You might make a great witness on the stand who wasn’t even there and only knows what he reads in the newspaper!?

4. Hornet on August 22, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Charles if you have all of this neglect, show us? Show us how the system fails everyday as you say. Sitting back eating my popcorn waiting for your proof how the system fails daily. Don’t wait too long, I will have eaten all of my popcorn. I think you are blowing smoke when you have no idea what you are talking about . STOP drinking the Kool Aid and come back to earth!

5. Hornet on August 23, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Hey Charles I ate all the popcorn still waiting for your proof the system is failing everyday and you have proof. As we all can see you are all talk and no action. Stop drinking the Kool aid!!

6. Jon Small on September 2, 2018 at 10:38 pm

I hear the pathetic argument too often that if the dog was aggressive, the cop is justified in shooting it. Nevermind that no cop has ever been killed by a dog in the entire history of policing in the U.S. Nevermind that shelter workers, delivery drivers, veterinarians, etc. deal with potentially aggressive dogs regularly, somehow, and they don’t shoot them. Nevermind that cops are supposed to be examples of courage, not cowardice; and nevermind that that you will face an extremely stiff penalty if you shoot a cop’s dog. Why is that? Well that came about because cops were getting so emotionally devastated when their dogs got shot. Yet they can shoot ours freely? That’s a double-standard. As long as cops say they feared for their safety, they can get away with shooting anyone and anything. That argument doesn’t float here. Cops who shoot dogs are cowards of the highest order. That’s the bottom line.