Serving Kenly, Selma, Smithfield, Princeton & Pine Level since 1973

Causby holds seven meetings at Clayton High, six closed to media

Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.


SMITHFIELD- Johnston County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Jim Causby will hold an open meeting with any Clayton High parents who would like to meet with him on Tuesday, Sept. 17 from 5:05 p.m. to 5:35 p.m. in the school's media center.

While other meetings with groups are being conducted throughout the day, this is the only meeting that is open to media. 

A specified area for media will be established in the school's media center during the parent meeting occurring at 5:05 p.m.

Causby is expected to hear comments on issues which have plagued the school since June.

In a Sept. 13 news release issued by Chief of Communications Delores Gill, Johnston County Public Schools determined 13 students who were declared 2018-2019 graduates didn't earn the minimum state requirement of 22 credits to receive a high school diploma. Johnston County requires 28 credits.

Gill said Johnston County reported this to the state Department of Public Instruction on Sept. 13.

The school system is contacting the students involved and Gill said "will provide resources to assist them in resolving the credits needed."

"I regret the situation with these students and assure them Johnston County Public Schools will do all they can to provide them every opportunity to meet these graduation requirement," said Interim Superintendent Jim Causby.

Gill said graduation data from previous years at Clayton High is being examined.

"Any other requirements which have not bee met will be self-reported to the Department  of Public Instruction," said Gill. "It is a requirement of each school to verify their graduation data in a report to the state each year."

The graduation issue comes in the midst of an ongoing effort by Clayton parents and students to have former Principal Bennett Jones reinstated.

Jones was transferred without any public explanation on Aug. 12 by former Superintendent Ross Renfrow. The school system started a 10-week investigation which began in June into an allegation of grade tampering to make a football player eligible for the season.

Former Football Coach Hunter Jenks, who resigned on Aug. 13, said Renfrow told him on Aug. 12 that no wrong doing was uncovered.